There are unfortunate times when you encounter accidents on the job and need to be out from work for several days or weeks. This will mean that you won’t be able to earn money for your daily needs, so you need a back-up. Workers compensation insurance is usually a company benefit awarded to all its regular employees. If you get injured from work, inform your human resource office immediately to know what you need to do in order to request for a claim.
At times, your claim can be denied due to unforeseen reasons. If you have completed all the documents and complied with the requirements with clear proof of your injury, approval should be inevitable. However, this is not the case for some. When situations like this arise, you need to get a worker’s comp attorney.
When do I need to get a long term disability lawyer?
If any of the following applies, you need to find a worker’s compensation attorney.
- Your injuries are classified moderate to severe. These are injuries that might require stitches, minor surgery, therapy, cement, and the like.
- Your injuries are very bad that the doctor has given you a warning that you might not recover 100% of your condition before the accident. If the recovery does not bring you to a condition where you can go back to work, you should consider permanent or long term disability.
- Your injury has led you and the doctor to believe that you are in no condition to resume work.
- You believe that you are not capable of taking the same position at work, but can still handle other less-demanding positions.
- You believe your claim has been denied despite good enough evidence to support your disability.
- Your basic medical benefits are denied.
- You are new to the claim application process and need a hurt at work lawyer to explain and guide you.
- Your employer has disputed your disability claim and has denied release of any kind of benefit.
- You think the decision made by your insurance company is misguided or unreasonable.
Every individual is entitled to his or her own attorney when chasing a worker’s compensation claim. Lawyers for work related injuries know the standard process for you to file an appeal. If your injury is severe enough to change your typical lifestyle and cause damage on your financial situation, it is all the more necessary to get an attorney to help.
There are also injuries that require you to stay confined in the hospital. In such cases, you won’t be able to do the processing of your claim yourself. Having a work injury lawyer gives you means to file a claim while you actively focus on recovery. Apart from your current claim, you may also be advised to apply for other types of insurance claims covered by your existing insurance policies so that you can get the compensation you deserve.
How much should I expect to pay a workers compensation lawyer?
Worker’s compensation lawyers generally take on cases on a contingency basis. This means that if you win the case, you give a portion of your proceeds to the lawyer plus reimburse any other expenses related to the filing and processing of the case. However, if you lose, you don’t have to pay anything.
Since there is no need for large upfront payments, it is advisable for denied claim insurance holders to get professional help. This substantially hastens the processing of claim cases and ensures a more organized process.
How to find a work injury lawyer near me?
You can take several approaches for your search:
- By word of mouth – suggestions from friends, colleagues, family and acquaintances. This is usually the most reliable since you trust the people you converse with. Moreover, consider those who have worked with their suggestions directly since you can most likely take advantage of the connection when contacting the firm.
- [Classified ads – it can be found in most types of published materials like newspapers, magazines and the like.
- Online research – there are firms that have their own websites. There are also directory listings for your area. Simply narrow the list by state or town and find viable candidates.
Use all methods to find candidates you can consult for your problem. Most firms provide free consultation services. Workman’s comp lawyers will usually provide you steps to check whether you need to file an appeal for your claim. Just make sure to ask them how they intend to solve your problem and how much they charge for their services. Once you get an idea, choose the most suitable Toronto law firm.
If there is any aspect of your compensation claim that is disputed by your employer or insurance company, it is vital that you get help from workers comp lawyers. In most states, the standard filing of appeal is highly legal, meaning a number of complex legal rules and procedures are observed. You will be at a disadvantage if you choose to represent yourself without any knowledge of the law. Choose the most secure option by hiring an experienced lawyer.