Statutory Accident Benefits: Income Replacement Benefit

The income replacement benefit (“IRB”) is meant to replace your income if you are substantially impaired in an accident and cannot return to work. If you were employed at the time of the accident (or within the previous 52 weeks), the IRB may be available to you. The IRB may also be available to someone who is unemployed at the time of the accident if certain conditions are met.

The IRB will cover 70% of your gross income up to a maximum of $400 per week for two years. Please note that additional coverage can be purchased, which would increase the amount of the IRB payment. Also note that an insurer is not required to pay any amount for your first week off work after the accident.

To continue receiving IRBs after two years you must be unable to work any job for which you are reasonably suited by education, training or experience. This is often where things can become unclear. If an insurance company has stopped your IRB payments contact a lawyer immediately.