What are the steps I should take immediately when appealing my disability claim?
Being informed that your disability claim has been denied is disappointing. It is distressing especially if you know your claims are justifiable – ie. legitimately disabled as per medical opinions. Do not panic, as you will be given an opportunity to appeal a denied disability claim.
In reality, there are many instances when people get denied a disability claim. If you think that’s bad, wait until you get to the process of appealing. It is a stressful process which often causes panic to the person involved. For this, hiring a lawyer is your best option.
Continue reading to learn how to appeal a disability claim denied and why hiring a lawyer is the best decision you can make.
Best Lawyers for Disability Claims
- Know why you got a denied disability claim. Statistically, the majority of initial claims get denied. A letter will be mailied to you. It will contain a description of your medical condition and the things that were considered.
* Check the letter of denial sent by the claim representative. It contains the reasons why your claim got denied.
* Get a copy of your insurance policy, rules, and regulations regarding the process.
* Get a copy of the disability benefits providers internal claim file.
It is extremely important that you get as much information as you can regarding your denied disability claim. See all the information they have, which you may or you may not know about.
- Request your appeal immediately. Know the deadline to apply for your appeal. Most people make a mistake by waiting too long before requesting for an appeal. Failing to appeal during the given period will only end up with you getting another denial.
Do not get disheartened if you get a denied disability claim. Most people do not consider appealing. They give up because of the long and tiring process. This is another reason why a lawyer is necessary for you get through appealing a disability claim.
- Hire a lawyer. These days, people take things into their own hands by searching for information online and doing things themselves. While the internet is full of resources that may be useful for your case, nothing beats the knowledge of an insurance lawyer when it comes to appealing a disability claim. TSF Law is a team of trust worthy lawyers with many years of experience when it comes to appealing a denied disability claim.
Insurance Company Woes
Insurance companies often act like they are always on your side. The truth is, they are businesses who exist to put their profits as their top priority. They will give you a list of reasons why they have denied your disability claim, and you, as the claimant must be aware of your rights.
Upon getting a denial of disability claim, insurance companies give claimants the option to appeal, or to ask the insurance company to reverse their decision. This process can take several months and will truly exhaust you not only physically and emotionally, but also financially.
What is an Internal Appeal?
Whatever you do, do not fall into the insurance company trap that is the internal appeals process. Know that when your disability claim gets denied, appealing through the company’s internal appeals procedure is not your only option. You can also file a lawsuit against your insurance company.
Taking the road to internal appeals is a big mistake. It is simply a detour to the same end result – them denying your disability claim. The process may be different depending on the insurance company but all of them share a lot of similarities. The process usually involves you getting more medical reports and you being sent to be assessed by their doctors.
Hire an Insurance Claim Lawyer
With a good insurance lawyer is at your side, you will be able to gain access to all the information that can support you in appealing a disability claim. Lawyers will help you gather all the legal documents you need to succeed in your appeal. A good insurance lawyer is always there for you to help you understand everything about your rights and why your disability claim should not have been denied in the first place.
Your insurance company will go to great lengths to avoid their responsibilities. Hire a lawyer now and use his/her knowledge and experience in insurance law. Contact Us at TSF Law for a free evaluation.